Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 16:47:06 -0400
From:      Devin Smith <devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org>
To:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: qmail setup - pointers please

>Greetings,
>Now that I have been successful in setting up
>DNS, I need to return to setting up qmail.
>My goal is to setup a local mail server for
>my LAN, where my windows users can config
>outlook to pop their mail off the local server.
>
>I have 4.3-release running on a box.  I have
>cd /usr/ports/mail/qmail.  make and make install.
>I then did make disable-sendmail and make enable-qmail.
>
>I have tried to follow along with www.lifewithqmail.org
>but the version installed seems different than the one
>install from ports, and there seem to be significant
>differences.
>
>When I try to test mail (following TEST.deliver), the mail
>never arrives.  It seems to go to the bit bucket in the sky.
>I looked at /var/log/qmail, but nothing.
>
>Any pointers to docs, etc, would be greatly appreciated.
>
>-Darryl

Do yourself a favor and don't use the ports system for qmail. The author
has included explicit step by step instructions for installing qmail with
the source tarball.Download it from his site directly and follow the
instructions in the text files INSTALL.*. (or go here: http://
www.qmail.org/man/index.html, look for the INSTALL.* files near the
bottom of the page).  You'll end up with a *much* better understanding of
what's going on by doing it this way.

--devin smith