Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:51:42 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Matt Churchyard <matt.churchyard@userve.net>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Invalid subnet masks

On 2/11/15 5:55 PM, Matt Churchyard wrote:

> I appreciate that it might be 'valid' as a binary mask, but I'm struggling to find any documentation anywhere that actually suggests that it's valid as a network configuration. The entire modern CIDR notation, and all the routing system & hardware built around it (that shows networks in CIDR form and will collapse routes) has no way of dealing with these subnets.
most can deal with it, just not optimally

> Are there actually valid use cases for these types of network?
yes.
I've had networks that were the first and last quarter of a /24, and
the middle two quarters were separate nets.

Sure, it made my skin crawl, but I was in a pinch to get more machines
onto that /26.
all four were served by the same router so only one router needed to
know..

I have however at times though we could think about making ifconfig at
give a warning.
(but not an error).