Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:39:52 +0200
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml.diespammer@netfence.it>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck way too slow

Chuck Swiger wrote:

>>> ...and yes, that difference is not reasonable.  Are you using bgfsck
>>> or not...?
>>
>> Hm, what do you mean?
>> I'd gladly let my system fsck in background after boot, but it won't
>> do that on a root partition, as mentioned somewhere else on this thread.
>> However, apart from that, I've set everything up according to this
>> wish of mine (i.e. I enabled softupdates and I did not put
>> background_fsck="NO" in my /etc/rc.conf).
> Try turning off background fsck and see whether it does better, the next
> time the system comes back up after an unclean shutdown.  I think bgfsck
> has some kind of built-in throttling to avoid doing too much I/O, which
> may not be working quite right in this case, causing it to simply hang
> out mostly idle rather than finishing the filesystem check.

So, I think I came to an end investigating this:
_ putting 'background_fsck="NO"' in /etc/rc.conf won't help (fsck would
anyway run foreground in any case);
_ tuning the filesystem to turn off softupdates solved it.

I guess we could mark this as a bug; do you think I should send-pr about it?

  bye & Thanks
	av.