Date:      Tue, 2 May 1995 20:16:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        nc@ai.net, current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: looking for IP over printer port driver users

> > Does anybody have a clue how to manufacture the needed cable?  I would like
> > to play with this, but do not want to spend money on a cable that I can
> > build from parts in stock..
>
> Do yourself a favor and go buy a "laplink cable" at the local store.
> They're $10 (that's what mine cost at Frys, anyway) and it's a LOT
> less headache than making your own.. :-)

Hi Jordan,

That's silly.  :-)  Well, not for everyone... but I've been making cables
since I was a teenager.  I have all the connectors, hoods, cable, et al.  I
do not intend to pay $10 for something that I can _build_ easily for $10
less than that.  :-)  I prefer to save my cash for things that I cannot
readily make:  I buy components, modems, etc.  I generally make my own
cables (with the one exception of DB9-DB25's which Wal-Mart sells for $2.96,
which is roughly equivalent to my cost, and then I don't have to spend
time).  Besides, usually when you need something strange:  "A SCSI cable
with Centronics on both ends and 6 IDC connectors at such-n-such separation"
you end up doing it yourself anyways.  (I have a nice "CAID" for news here -
Cheap Array of Inexpensive 5 1/4" Disks").

(besides: if I go to a store it means I have to waste time to do so - maybe
a half hour, or an hour, when I can make it in 10 minutes.  :-)  )

But for the everyday hacker, who isn't comfortable with a soldering iron, I
might be inclined to agree with you.

... Joe