Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 11:35:02 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE DMA and 'multi-block'

Eric Jacoboni wrote:

> I've noticed something i don't explain about my 2 IDE disks :

> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <QUANTUM FIREBALL1280A>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-8
> wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM2550A>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
>
> Ok, both disks are in DMA 32 bit mode, but why the first one is said
> 'multi-block-8' and the second 'multi-block-16' ?
>
> As i've understood the docs, the flags '0xa0ffa0ff' mean :
>
> - 0xa0ff for wd0 : probe 32 bit transfers + probe PCI IDE DMA + max
> transfer size
> - 0xa0ff for wd1 : same thing...
>
> Both drives are Quantum FireBall IDE disks, the first one is a 1.2 Go,
> while the second one is a 2.5 Go : is it this size difference that
> explains the 'multi-block' difference ?

The number of multi-blocks supported will vary between drives depending on
their age, spec, vendor - and even firmware that their running... The
smaller/cheaper drives tend to do less, though it's quite common these days
for even the cheapest/smallest to do high multi-block transfers...

> BTW : what is the real meaning of this 'multi-block' value and what
> are its implications ?

AFAIK It's the number of blocks that can be transferred in one i/o operation,
generally - the more the merrier...

-Kp