Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:50:32 -0500
From:      John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 3.2.1 release import?

Belling the cat comes from a children's story, and is often referenced in
behavioral economics and game theory. The story goes, the mice decide that
life would be much safer if the cat were stuck with a bell around its neck.
  This way the mice would hear the cat approaching. The problem is, which
mouse will risk his life to bell the cat?

This problem of belling the cat comes up in everyday life. Why is a
planeload of people powerless before a single hijacker, or how can small
armies control large populations? In both cases, a simultaneous move by
the masses would result in a high degree of success. But the communication
and coordination for such actions is difficult. When people must act alone
and hope momentum builds up, the question arises, "Who is going to go
first?"

-John Von Essen