Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 1997 23:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE
Cc:        ada@bsd.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnat port

 * All three new ports ``build-depend'' on /usr/src/contrib/gcc and
 * /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc and make heavey use of the bsd.xxxx.mk
 * files.
 *
 * To my knowledge this is unique in the ports collection. (bsd.port.mk
 * does not use any other *.mk files and a common port does not depend
 * on access to the FreeBSD source distribution.)
 *
 * So I don't know whether my approach will be accepted by the
 * portsmeister. Do you hear, Satoshi?

Actually there has been a port submission (PR 3687).  I have exchanged
several rounds of e-mails, and I have something that I am going to
commit now.  It uses a separate tarball (gcc-2.7.2.1.tar.gz), so go
ahead and fix it to use /usr/src/contrib/gcc.

Of course, there is no problem with using *.mk files other than
bsd.port.mk.  (There are some ports that already do this -- see
math/linpack.)

Satoshi