Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2023 08:18:13 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org>, "Elmar K. Bins" <elmi@4ever.de>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Raspi4 13.2] Keyboard woes

On Dec 6, 2023, at 04:34, Nuno Teixeira <eduardo@freebsd.org> wrote:

> (...)
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-arm/2023-July/002810.html

. . .

While not directly related to keyboards, I'll note that I
had text reporting:

QUOTE
initial_turbo=60

[It appears that with modern EEPROM context, the RPi* is
dynamically adjusting the frequency/voltage combinations
even during early booting. The initial_turbo use delays
that for the indicated number of seconds (up to 60 sec).
FreeBSD seems to not handle the variability and the above
gives FreeBSD a stable context for such properties for
early booting.]
END QUOTE

I later discovered that initial_turbo=60 was not sufficient
for "boot -s" (single user mode) because the stable
frequency/voltage can not be made to last long enough.
I use force_turbo=1 to deal with wanting to "boot -s".

I'll also note that using a serial console would be another
way to get to a prompt for typing "boot -s". (It is how I
normally operate for such so I do not normally notice any
USB keyboard handling issues for that time frame.)
Handling early boot problems without a serial console can
be problematical.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com