Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 02:49:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        bruce@gtcs.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q:  When one dist makes several useful ports?

 *  and in the future, most likely
 * 	Linux
 * 	BeOS - PC
 *   and   FreeBSD

Wow!  Run FreeBSD under FreeBSD emulation?  Can I run my 1.1 CD again? :)

 *   Would it therefore be best to make *three* portballs out of this?
 *
 *        1. Common components
 *        2. top-end support
 *        3. minimal-impact
 *
 *  .. with #2 and #3 both dependent on #1?

That sounds cool.  Look at editors/mule-common and various mule
ports.  Basically mule-common is the "common components" part, mule
is the "minimal impact" part with hooks to build others, and
{chinese,japanese,korean}/mule-* are ones with various options for
specific languages and input formats.

These are overly complicated because they attempt to share the work/
subdirectory for mule-common and one of the others, but if you are
willing to extract and build the ports twice, it should be much
easier.

Satoshi