Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:38:29 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Larry S. Marso" <larry@marso.com>
Subject:   Re: which CD-R to get

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Steve Friedrich wrote:

> >Also, I understand that CD media measures it's lifetime in decades, not
> >months/years.
>
> Hmm, I think there is considerable debate here.  The Library of
> Congress did a study and decided to NOT switch to CDs as archive media
> because CDs would only last 10 years at most, sometimes less.  And I
> think that was *stamped* CDs, not CDR media. CDR media can be destroyed
> with sunlight!!  I was going to run a few tests, but haven't had time.

I just had an idea (that someone else has probably already had, for
sure) for a media that should last close to forever.  Make the CD out of
glass instead of plastic.  Since you can't exactly "stamp" glass with
the CD master, you could probably use ultrasonics to "etch" the pits
into the glass.  Apply a good coat of gold over that, then some kind of
protective layer, and you've got something that should last a long long
time.  Yes, it is fragile (depending on the type of glass you use, i
suppose) and expensive, but in cases where you require very long life,
that would probably be an option.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )                                       */