Date:      Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:38:18 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        Claude Buisson <clbuisson@orange.fr>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can audio CDs be played with ATA_CAM ?

On 25/10/2011, at 23:24, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> These may not be the same problem, but I think they are related (a =
not so well
>> documented change in the kerm interface).
>=20
> You want atapicam(4).  This is not the same thing as "options =
ATA_CAM".
> See /sys/conf/NOTES.
>=20
> Whether or not it works with audio CDs is unknown to me.

atapicam is a bridge for the old ATA code to put ATAPI devices _only_ on =
CAM (as well as the ATA infrastructure). Hence they appear as /dev/cd0 =
and so on.

ATA_CAM puts _all_ ATA devices on CAM, so you should be able to access =
your audio CD that way.=20

I just tried and it ripped a CD fine using cdparanoia and cdcontrol =
seemed to play it OK (although I don't have the analogue output of this =
drive hooked up to the audio system).

This is not to say that there isn't a bug in the ATA_CAM code :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum