Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 1995 23:25:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Hmmmm!  New error encountered with cpio while building root.flp

> ..
> cpio: stand/date not dumped: minor number would be truncated
> cpio: stand/dd not dumped: minor number would be truncated
> cpio: stand/echo not dumped: minor number would be truncated
> cpio: stand/ed not dumped: minor number would be truncated
> cpio: stand/expr not dumped: minor number would be truncated
> cpio: stand/grep not dumped: minor number would be truncated
>
> And so on.  It results in a root.flp image that's only 512 bytes long.. :-(

Looks like Bruces changes to cpio to skip dumping dev nodes that have
high values is causing some problems :-(.

> Building the root.flp in /usr/src/release/Makefile *used* to work, but
> now this.  Some recent change in current?  I'm building a 2.2 snapshot
> just for my own use..

Looks like we are going to have to be _very_ carefull that we build 2.1R
on a 2.1R system or we may get some really bizzare problems :-(.

And you may very well want to build your 2.2 snaps on a 2.0.5R system
for similiar reasons, until 2.1R can be rolled :-(.  2.0.5R cpio should
properly read 2.2 cpio files, if it does not we have a bigger problem
than I thought :-(.