Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 16:48:34 -0600
From:      "Tyson Boellstorff" <tboellst@willinet.net>
To:        "MegaFred" <mfred@zen.triax.com>, "dennis" <dennis@etinc.com>
Subject:   Re: ISP Conversion

>> this is so silly. Please read http://www.etinc.com/routers.htm  for the
other
>> side of this ridiculous set of arguments.
>
>I'm reading this page, and can't really tell.  Are you for or against the
>idea of custom-built PC routers?

I think that when each can be an appropriate tool in the appropriate
situation. I've used PC routers in the past with great success. I also use
them as centrally located places for network access tools. If the load gets
too heavy, I move the load off.  Simple as that. I get really high loads, I
might go with Cisco, but then again, it all depends on how I'm setting
things up. Failure can affect many things, routers and PC's are no
exception. A lower MTBF can be compensated for. Plan carefully regardless of
how you route.

There are too many idiotic myths being perpetrated. Saying you are for or
against a piece of hardware is like saying you are for or against hammers.
Someday, in this best of all possible worlds, we will no longer get vendors
slandering other products because they:

a) Don't understand it.
b) Don't want to support it.
c) Want you to buy their product.

It's one thing to promote your company's products, and another thing
entirely to slander your competitors.  I just dealt with another OS war
rumor today: It seems that a certain software vendor's technical support  is
saying UNIX is obsolete because it can't support modern PC hardware
(couldn't keep up with that fast hardware). I asked him if his boss knew
he/she'd hired an idiot, or was an idiot as well. ;-)

I refuse to buy products from people like that.  I and my products may be
happens.