Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:35:38 -0800
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        vermaden <vermaden@interia.pl>
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:05:55 +0100
vermaden <vermaden@interia.pl> wrote:
> > > I have now filled these PR's here:
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=164432
> > Thanks.  This makes these issues visible.
> One of them is already closed ... with ZERO changes,
> the reason from the person that closed it:
>     "This is intended, as vsftpd is started by inetd"
> ... great, but not ALL FreeBSD users want to use inetd,
> why force them to compile it, is that one file that big
> or painful that it can not be added to the port?

I don't know why the PR was closed this way, but given that the bug
report is simply a statement of a fact, without saying why you
consider this fact to be a bug, or any other justification for wanting
the change, closing it as "works as intended" seems like a perfectly
reasonable response.

If you had explained *why* you wanted that changed, and provide some
justification for doing so (i.e. - point out that no inetd compliant
program, so the default config of the port won't run on the default
config of FreeBSD), you might have gotten a different response.

Of course, that kind of discussion isn't really appropriate for a PR,
since it's really a feature request. As such it deserves a bit of work
finding out why it's that way to begin with. All of is covered in the
problem-reports document already mentioned in this thread:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/

      <mike