Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:58:44 +0000
From:      Joseph Mallett <jmallett@NewGold.NET>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Dennis Berger <Dennis.Berger@nipsi.de>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting a new filesystem to FreeBSD

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 03:31:19AM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Joseph Mallett <jmallett@NewGold.NET> wrote:

> > > It breaks binary backward compatability.
> >
> > Then why has it not been implemented as a mount time or compile time
> > option?
>
> Simple questions also have simple answers.
> Because nobody has done it yet.
>
> There is this motto in the Linux camp that fits very nicely questions
> like this one: "Do you have any code to show to us?"
>
> Please guys.  Stop wasting bandwidth to discuss what things would be a
> nice idea to do, and asking why nobody else has done or thought of
> this before...  If you (or anyone else, this is not personal) think
> you can do something, then please, go ahead and do it.

Errr sorry, you seem to have misunderstood what -i- was talking about... I
was under the impression such things may have already been done to some
extent, and aside from it breaking binary compat, I wondered why nobody
had made it a possible option, at the very least.

I'd be glad to do the work to make it optional, if I had code that worked
for FFS. I'm not interested in doing the code for FFS itself, but I'd be
glad to do what I asked about, which is to make such code optional, as it
would be likely to break binary compatability.