Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:22:02 -0500
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        cwasser@v-wave.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd and ata-66

At 13:55 11/26/1999 -0700, Chris Wasser wrote:
>--- Original message dated 11/26/99 1:48:27 PM ---
>> I have the same setup, With 3.2 you can expect for the Ultra-ATA66
>> controller NOT to work for you. there is support for it in 4.0-CURRENT,
>> but as your drive should be compatible witht he Ultra ATA33 controller
>> also on the BP6 your best off using th3 ATA33 controller until such time
>> as we see a 4.0-RELEASE.
>>
>> I have used the ATA66 controller unde certain other operating systems, and
>> the performace difference is minimal.
>
> The preformance is noticable as well as the CPU overhead drop compared
>to ATA-33 :) As for 3.x supporting it, Soren is working on a solution I do
>believe.

There should be a modest speed improvement with today's fastest drives
(like the IBM DPTA series, etc), but a drop in CPU overhead?  I'd be
interested in seeing this measured (Just to be sure we're not comparing it
to wd driver PIO4 without all the flags turned on, or something).

I'm running a BP6 but haven't yet bought a drive for the ATA/66 controller.

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com