Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 01:40:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Elliot Finley <efinley@efinley.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW and >8G drives

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Elliot Finley wrote:

> The information on the 2940UW on Adaptec's web
> site(http://www.adaptec.com/products/datasheets/specs/aha2940uw.html)
> states "Extended translation supports drive capacity up to 8 GBytes
> per disk".
>
> Does this mean that if I try to use a 9.1G SCSI drive on a 2940UW
> controller, it's not going to work?  I thought that there weren't any
> size limitations/issues when using SCSI.
>
> Comments welcome.

AFAIK the 'extended translation' option on the Adaptec's is a hack for
DOS etc. - it changes the number of heads on the reported geometry to 255,
this lets you use large drives with the likes of MSDOS FDISK et'al...

I don't think it would make much difference to FreeBSD (maybe to the boot
process - when the BIOS is used to load the kernel)...

I'm pretty sure some of our machines here run with it enabled, some with
it disabled... Most are machines here use 9.1Gb drives and up, and we've
not had any problems...

-Kp