Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:48:06 +0100
From:      Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        IBS / Andre Oppermann <andre@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Homedir 'hiding'

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 03:37:46PM +0200, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:

> We give our customers at the moment only chrooted ftp access (ftpd
> with internal LS) to their www-homedirs. Some users however ask for
> telnet access.
>
> The problem we have is that if someone logs in that person can see
> all homedirectories of other customers. The user with telnet access
> has an own group but can still see the other homedirs but not enter
> them (no permission of course).
>
> My question is now: what can I do that the telnet users cant see
> the other homedirs (don't tell me 'rm -R *' ;-)).
>
> PS: I have tried to set the permissions to drwx------ but it is
> still visible with ls.

It depends on how your partitions are set up. /home is usually, but not
always, a symlink to /usr/home. If this is so, use

	chmod 511 /usr/home

If this is not so - for instance, if the /home tree is on its own partition -
then you need to

	chmod 511 /home

N.B. Some shells may complain about this. tcsh, for instance, will generate
the following error on invocation:

tcsh: Permission denied
tcsh: Trying to start from "/home/<user>"

[tcsh will still work, but the error is a bit annoying.]

Keith
--
v Keith Jones                 Systems Manager, Blueberry New Media Ltd. v
| Postal Mail: 2/10 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, LONDON, UK. SW10 0XD |