Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:34:29 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT (again)

On Friday 22 September 2006 00:04, Juergen Lock wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 11:18:32AM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 September 2006 03:11, Juergen Lock wrote:
> > > Today for the first time since this box got a new board I tried to
> > > copy data onto the usb cardreader, and after copying for a while it
> > > suddenly stopped (led stopped flashing, no further io), and after
> > > some time i had the above in dmesg.  And that was it, cp process
> > > hung, no way to kill it.  Unplugged the thing, and got the expected
> > > panic: vinvalbuf: dirty bufs.  Tried the same thing from linux (after
> > > dosfsck), and there copying stopped for a while too, but it then
> > > continued and finished.  Is this is some kind of new hardware quirk of
> > > the new board's ehci controller, that linux recovers from?  (via,
> > > there already is a `dropped interrupt' fix for it, which helped with
> > > my last board...)=20

We can easily check for dropped interrupts. If you run:

sysctl hw.usb.ehci.debug=3D15
sysctl hw.usb.umass.debug=3D-1

When your device hangs. And then send me the log again.

> Ok.  This time writing worked, but reading back to verify (cmp) seemed
> to hang.  Did the sysctl (see below), then a while later I got an IO erro=
r.
> Tried to umount, got another IO error, tried umount -f, got a panic
> (probably expected.)  I have now installed mtools and won't mount umass
> devices on this box anymore... :/  (Btw when I later tried to mcopy the
> file off the thing using the original kernel I noticed the led was off
> after it hung, dunno if that also was the case when I tried it with the
> new code but I would suspect so.  At least this time, since it wasnt
> mounted, I could unplug it without getting a panic...)
>
>  Oh, one thing that occured to me: Even when you may be able to get
> around (what appars to be) hardware quirks like this by retrying IO
> or resetting the device, that probably wont work when you have an
> umass tape drive (sa), since with tape you can't just retry a read/write,
> and resetting it may even rewind, with the next write erasing everything
> on the tape.  Just a thought...
>
>  Anyway, here's the syslog of the `experiment', beginning after the sysct=
l:

=46rom the log I see that it looks like the statemachine of your device has=
=20
locked up. Even the reset command is timing out. That should not happen. We=
=20
could try to reconfigure the device, when reset fails.

=2D-HPS