Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:26:11 -0400
From:      "bill" <bill@TechServSys.com>
To:        freeBSD-Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   slooooow httpd serving

I have more or less successfully built my first freeBSD system to be a
webserver and configured Apache for virtual hosts and all seems well, except:

when it is serving a large (100k) graphic it is slower than mud going uphill.

hardware:
485-66, 32Mb ram
The nic is an intel pro/10
scsi disk subsystem with an adaptec 1542c (I think it is a c, not sure - but it
ran a complex database application before it was retired for a faster machine)

Top says:
   load averages 0.00 0.01 0.00
   top is using 0.93%
   sendmail is using 0.00
   httpd      is using 0.00

watching top I see that httpd goes to RUN about once every 3 seconds.

netstat shows a very large send q: 33580 until the browser apparently gives
up.
when I reload the page the q goes up again and it _finishes_ displaying the
image.

I could use some help in figuring out what is so slow.

Also, may or may not be related: I have not configured Sendmail yet and it
gets unhappy and panics every morning when it can't deliver something.

-bill-