Date:      14 Mar 2001 14:14:19 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, jhunt@hermes.niicommunications.com
Subject:   Re: problem with ports -- revisted

jhunt@hermes.niicommunications.com (Jason Hunt) writes:

> something I failed to mention.  I am running FreeBSD 4.2  ALL my ports
> give me this error msg: Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk.
>
> I believe I know what happened.  I removed /var/db by accident now I have
> this problem.  I did however get a package to install by using sysinstall.

That would do it.  There's a file in /var/db called "port.mkversion" which
contains the date of the system makefiles.  You should be able to create
it by hand to get this message to do away.  The contents would be an
8-character date string, probably "20001121" for the 4.2 release.  You
could probably install a ports upgrade kit (http://www.freebsd.org/ports/)
for a method that may be easier for a non-techie.

> I would really to get this back to normal :)  anything I can do to
> restore /var/db so ports collection works again?  thanks

Nothing you can do (short of restoring the database from a backup) will
enable the ports system to remove the ports (or packages) that are already
installed, but installing new ports should work fine.  [It's possible to
get the ports database resynchronized to *mostly* remove the existing
installed ports, but it won't be foolproof.]

Good luck.