Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:47:33 GMT
From:      Kevin Weiss/AUS/Lotus <Kevin_Weiss/AUS/Lotus@lotus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm looping error

whenever I implement xdm from root, it loops back onto itself.  In other
words,
xdm starts, I log in (either as myusername or root), type in the
appropriate password,
and then:
   1) Screen blanks out for a sec
   2) X Window "seems" to start (i.e. the grey background comes up for a
split second)
   3) The login screen appears again, and I have to login again
   4) Repeats 1-3 again...and again...again...

I have to end up "sneaking" in CTRL-ALT-DEL right after typing in the
password just
to shut down the machine.  I have typed the wrong password, and I do get
the login
incorrect...this part seems ok.

Any suggestions?