Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 09:51:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@konstanz.netsurf.de>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Raul Ocampo <spud@ibahn.net>
Subject:   Re: Telnet

On Friday,  7 August 1998 at  8:51:56 +0200, Rainer M Duffner wrote:
> On Fri 07 Aug, Sue Blake wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 07, 1998 at 09:51:10AM +0800, Raul Ocampo wrote:
>>>
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> I'm a new user to FreeBsd.
>>> I'm trying to telnet from my FreeBsd box to
>>> a linux box, it does not seem to work whenever i'm in
>>> text mode. But when I'm in X it works.
>>> What is the problem here ?
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> I'm forwarding this to freebsd-questions where you'll get a "right"
>> answer, and adding info about my newbie workaround :-)
>>
>> I simply installed the screen package, and run 'screen' before
>> 'telnet linux.host.name'. It is easy and works very well.
>
> I know this is not -questions,

You could have fooled me.

> but I though that 'screen' just added multiple (virtual) consoles
> under a single connection, e.g. while using a shell-account.

Correct.

>> No doubt others will offer more technical solutions which you could
>> try too.
>
> Using X or not should not make a difference at all, IMHO !

Agreed.  But there's something here which appears to make a
difference.  We'll have to wait for a reply before finding out.

> *All* internet-related services (inetd...) are started at boot-time and
> are available then.

These are the servers.  We're talking about the telnet client here,
which will run even if all the local servers (telnetd or inetd) are
down.

Greg