Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:46:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        cbell@error.net
Cc:        question@freebsd.org, Dr Doctor <cbell@underground.error.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7 v. 2.2.x

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Dr Doctor wrote:

> Hello!  I recently bought FreeBSD 2.1.5 from a local software store (it
> was cheaper and I could have it sooner than from Walnut Creek :-) and I
> want to thank you for such a solid, fast system.  It is noticably faster
> on my Pentium 75 with 24MB then Linux 1.2.13 (i have been a Linux user for
> about 3 years).  I also appreciate the built-in security model.  My
> question is this:
>
> I would like to upgrade to a newer version of the software.  I understand
> the difference between CURRENT and STABLE (RELEASE?), but there seems to
> be two concurrent stable releases of FreeBSD in the works.  FreeBSD 2.1.7
> and FreeBSD 2.2.x.  I would like to know what you recommend!  (basically,
> I would like either a pro/con break down of the differences or a pointer
> to some more detailed information).  Thanks!

Yes, there are two current releases in the works.

2.1.7 is targeted as an ultra-stable release for heavy load servers and
mission-critical systems.  When 2.1.7 finally gets done it should close
the major security hole plaguing us at the moment.

2.2 incorporates some newer features and VM system enhancements at the
price of potentially reduced stability.  This will be the first -RELEASE
for the 2.2 branch, so anything is possible.  I'm running the GAMMA on my
workstation and I haven't encountered any problems yet.

-CURRENT is *the*most*current* stuff, fresh from the development tree.
For developers only.

This is pretty well laid out on http://www.freebsd.org, on the page that
discusses the releases.  (It may be under the newsflash.)