Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:59:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Matt Jacob <mjacob@FreeBSD.org>, scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/cam/scsi scsi_all.c

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 01:37:39PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Brooks Davis wrote:
> >
> > > If we're going to allow 0 we should probably also allow values between
> > > 0 and 100 as well and just toss the checks.  I don't really object to
> > > letting the user take aim at their foot if that's what they want to do.
> >
> > You don't understand the real issue, which is that delaying after a bus
> > reset is an SPI-only issue, and one that is not encapsulated in any spec
> > in any hard and fast way- so don't talk bout 'aiming at foot' unless it
> > the thing you're aiming happens to be your nourishment mandibiles.
>
> I don't think I ever claimed I did understand it.  I addressed an
> existing annoyance without changing the default behavior one bit.  If
> there's not reason for the lower bounds checks then let's get rid of
> them entierly.  If there is a reason for them, then we can
> leave them in (after making them consistant again).  It just seems
> really odd to me that we would allow values in the range of
> {0, 100-INTMAX}.

I think it's swell we have a tunable- that makes it easy for people
booting with devices which are tricky. Thanks for doing that.

But you did, in fact, change the default behaviour in that SCSI_DELAY=0
had been an accepted config option before. I've restored the ability to
do this. And I am in no way shooting myself in the foot- that claim on
your part is unnecessary and misplaced. In a system with 144 PCI slots,
e.g,, should we ever install FreeBSD on an alpha 8400 and fill it full
of either Fibre Channel cards, or with SCSI cards that are connected to
anything more modern than 1992 and more pricey than a UMASS device, I'd
like to have it finish booting this year.

I don't think it's particularly important to be able use the tunable to
set back down to zero as long as those of us who need to make the
behaviour more acceptable for high end system can do so.

-matt