Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:12:34 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: Ok, try this patch. (was Re: symlink(2) [Was: Re: tcsh.cat])

> > So it seems to me the _use_ of a "" target symlink
> > (in all but the final path component position) is exactly
> > equivalent to the use of a "/" target symlink.  When used in
> > the final path component position, you get either the symlink
> > or ENOENT.  The POSIX excerpt Garrett quoted seems to match
> > this.
>
> No, because the relevant slash is in the pathname resulting from
> simple replacement of the full path prefix (<prefix>/<symlink>)
> with the symlink's contents.  Quoting Garrett's quote:

IMHO the key point is the *resulting* remaining pathname
after substitution.

Normally one would simply prepend the <symlink> contents
before the <suffix>, see if the resulting pathname starts
with a '/', if so start the search at root else start the
search at the parent of symlink.  In any case any leading
slashes are removed.  In other words the <suffix> bits are
not kept separately from <symlink> bits.  This is a simpler
implementation and seems to match what posix says.