Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 17:44:46 +0100
From:      Lee Smallbone <lee@kechara.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Monitors

Generally I don't tend to rely (too) much on host-based security monitoring.
Rather, I prefer the NIDS approach. (Network Intrusion Detection System).
Every server here has some host based monitoring - logcheck, tripwire etc. -
but the NIDS provides very high quality information that can be relied on
(moreso) than host-based logs which can be tampered with. That is not to
say the NIDS data cannot by tampered with, but chances are an attacker
won't even know one is in place. As snort analyses packets as they travel
through the network, even exploits that don't work are logged. Also 'pre-attack'
signatures such as port scans, traceroutes, pings and so forth are also
logged.

In our particular case, we use snort and acid.
(www.snort.org, http://www.cert.org/kb/acid/)

 hth,

--

Lee Smallbone