Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 1997 19:33:48 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        volf@oasis.IAEhv.nl (Frank Volf)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PLIST generation

> I have a few programs for which I would like to create a port. I read the
> instructions in the FreeBSD handbook (from the 2.2.2 CDROM) which are very
> clear except for the generation of the PLIST file. I got the impression that
> this file should be created by hand. Is that correct? Doing this by hand
> seems to me avery error prone process. Is there not an automatic way to
> do this, or a tool that can assist you in the process?

I use this methos for ports that are "standalone" - ie don't require
other ports:

# cd /usr/ports/somedir/myport
# mv /usr/local /usr/local.ORIG
# mkdir /usr/local
# make install
# mv /usr/local /usr/local.myport
# mv /usr/local.ORIG /usr/local

I then run a find(1) on /usr/local.myport, and edit the output as
appropriate for PLIST.

For ports that use other ports, I just install them, and do a
before/after diff(1), grepping as appropriate for added files.

I reckon that is about as close to automatic as you'll get.

Mark Murray