Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:38:41 GMT
From:      Kevin Weiss/AUS/Lotus <Kevin_Weiss/AUS/Lotus@lotus.com>
To:        Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   about kernel sound support

I have been having problems with my SB AWE64 card.

As far was remember, my sound card is on irq5, and is using DMA 6.
However, whenever I try
to implement this in the kernel, I get errors.  I implemented as followed
by 5.3.9 of the FreeBSD
Handbook entry for sound cards.

http://www2.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook62.html#140

I added the device sb0, sbvixi0, sbmidi0, and opl0 entries (with options of
"SBC_IRQ=5", and
"SB16_DMA=6"--this is what config I need from previous compiles)

   --I just noticed I was typing sbvixi0 and NOT sbvxi0, so that one is
solved I think

after saving the configuration, and typing /usr/sbin/config MYKERNALNAME
...I get "unknown
option SBC_IRQ=5" and "unknown option "SB16_DMA=6", but I could contine
../../compile/MYKERNALNAME (and possibly with a make depend, make and make
install,
but I didn't bother trying this due to the above error).  I added
parenthesis around
(i.e. options "SBC_IRQ=5")...same error. I know (from previous compilations
of kernels) that
my sb0 has to be set to irq 5, which is what I've done.

Does anyone know why this is happening...and does anyone have a suggested
configurations
for the SB AWE64 sound card?

PS - Also, is it a good idea to add the awe0 line (I have that
documentation at home)?
PSS - In root, I cd to /dev and typed ./MAKEDEV snd0