Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2006 07:58:35 -0500
From:      Albert Vest <alvest@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg 8.9.0 "radeon" with DRI hangs FreeBSD-6.1, OK without DRI

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 02:59:08 +0100
Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr> wrote:

> Dejan Lesjak wrote:
>
> > Hm, well, if you feel experimental you can try fiddling with drm. This should
> > bring latest drm code with some fixes/enhancements for radeons r300. I don't
> > have such card so this was only compile tested. You can grab patch from here:
> > http://www.ijs.si/~lesi/other/drm-20060228-77.diff and apply it
> > in /usr/src/sys/dev/drm. Then recompile and reinstall drm drivers:
>
> The patch didn't apply cleanly (to 6-stable) and I couldn't fix it (it
> compiled ok but didn't recognize my hardware when loaded). Could you
> make a clean archive of the module available somewhere for download?

I tried the patch, on 6-RELENG.  It applied cleanly, but I had to edit radeon_drv.h when "make" failed (CHIP_R250 and CHIP_RS250 had been removed from the enum list causing the included drm_pciids.h to trigger "initializer not constant" errors).

I threw over XFree86 again and installed Xorg, with xorg-server-snap.  Didn't make any difference -- leaving "dri" uncommented in xorg.conf still hangs with my hardware (0x1002, 0x5834).  I found no clues in /var/log/messages (last recorded line says "Trying to mount root...)!

$ dmesg | grep drm
drm0: <ATI Radeon RS300 IGP> port 0xc000-0xc0ff mem 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff,0xe4020000-0xe402ffff irq 16 at device 5.0 on pci1
info: [drm] AGP at 0xe0000000 64MB
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.23.0 20060225

Do you think using the "xorg-server" port instead would help?

Thanks,

--
Albert Vest, al vest at earth link dot net