Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      meshko@cs.brandeis.edu
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/11093: remind user that he needs to be root to install port

>Number:         11093
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       remind user that he needs to be root to install port
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD polkan2.dyndns.org 3.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE #1: Sun Mar 21 03:01:34 EST 1999     meshko@polkan2.dyndns.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/KERNEL5.1  i386

Well, may be the problem is with me (most likely) but still i think
somebody must have had the same problem...
I've been using ports collection for two years now (so I am not
total newbie) and I think it's great, but I always repeat the same
mistake -- I cd /usr/ports/whatever and try to make forgetting to su.
The problem is that make starts fine and connects to ftp site and starts
download when it finally notices that it can't create the local file!
First of all with slow connection it takes some time before I find out
that I screwed up. But what is even worth it actually took me some time
to figure out what does this permission denied message mean. I thought
that file is closed on the ftp server! (yes, yes, very dumb, thank you)
Well, anyway I guess it would be nice to have makefile check if user
have access to ports directory and report error clearly...
thanks for your time
-mk
>How-To-Repeat:
su guest; cd /usr/ports/editors/emacs; make