Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:21:04 -0700
From:      Daniel Nelson <daniel.nelson@influxdata.com>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Sysctl as a Service" for influxdb / telegraf

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 12:01:54AM +0200, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Considering this and the ongoing standardisation effort, maybe it
> makes more sense to stick to a single exporter? We can consider
> extending the man page to mention that it can also be used in
> combination with Telegraf.

I am supportive of doing this with either the Prometheus format or via
InfluxDB Line Protocol.  There are a few minor advantages in using Line
Protocol from Telegraf's persepective involving performance and the
elimination of any confusion transforming metrics, but they probably don't
outweigh the need to support yet another format on your end.  Telegraf aims to
be unopinionated so that it can support heterogeneous environments.
--
Daniel

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx--