Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 17:03:32 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Steven G Kargl <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp), freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: install compressed binary patch

>> Wouldn't you gain more diskspace if you told cc(1) about ".gz" files for
>> instance ?  source compress better than binary I'd expect...
>
>Actually, make world was a (poor?) example.  But, consider the installation
>on a production machine of some of the ports.  The binary for Octave was over
>4 MB before compression.  With `gzip -9', the binary is around 750 KB.  I get
>similar compression for other large binaries.
>
>The `-z' would be useful perhaps for XFree86 where the site.def(?) file allows
>one to specify the install program and install flags (if i recall correctly).
>Then, you can automatically have X built with compressed binaries.

   Keep in mind the following when using gziped binaries:

	1) The file is paged from swap, not from the executable. This means
	   you'll need a lot more swap space.
	2) There is no sharing with gziped binaries. This means that you'll
	   need a lot more memory (and swap space).
	3) Decompression requires a lot of CPU.

   Those three reasons make it impractical to gzip binaries that will be used
often or ones where multiple copies are used concurrently (like a shell for
instance).

-DG