Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 17:14:49 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        "Gary Kline" <kline@tera.tera.com>, "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, <lrios@ziplink.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Free BSD and Windows

On 4/21/98 11:22 AM, Gary Kline (kline@tera.tera.com) said:

>	After 5 weeks of trying to dual-boot FBSD and Debian, I
>	gave up.   Shouldn't be this hard, but is.

I surrendered and spent $50 on a copy of System Commander.  I wish I'd
bought a copy years ago.  It can boot anything from any slice from any
disk.  Nice.

FYI, I setup a small DOS partition as disk 0 slice 0 - just enough to
hold DOS and System Commander.  Then I installed various OSes (including
Win95, WNT, BeOS, and of course FreeBSD) in no particular order on
various disks and slices, again in no particular order.  If the last
installed OS stepped on the MBR (ie Win*), I simply reran its install app
and things were fine thereafter.

At startup it fires up the System Commander menu to select an OS.  The
last OS booted will autoboot after a timeout unless configured otherwise.
 It can boot anything, and recognized the BSD slice without my having to
teach it (it can be taught for OSes like BeOS).  Selecting FreeBSD brings
up the FBSD bootloader that then allows selecting a kernel or setting
options.

Yeah, it's not free, but it just works with no headaches and no hassles.

    -- Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>