Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 10:25:02 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        ndear@areti.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbuf clusters.

"Nicholas J. Dear" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We had an increase in web requests today (about 500/sec) because of the UK
> solar eclipse here, and it caused one of our web servers to have some trouble.  It
> was also coupled with the live broadcast being put up by FTP, and there was a lot
> of FTP activity.
>
> Where can I alter the item below, and what would be a sensible, but reasonably
> high figure?
>
> TIA.
>
> Aug 11 09:37:25 sithonia /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - adjust
> NMBCLUSTERS or increase maxusers!

	It's impossible to answer this question intelligently without knowing your
version of the OS and your current kernel maxusers setting, not to mention
memory, processor, etc. However in general for a short term crisis
situation like this you can go to 512 maxusers and 15000 NMBCLUSTERS on a
2.2.8 system, assuming that you have enough ram. I'd say 256M ought to do
it. If you have a 3.2 system you can go higher on these numbers, but
chances are you won't need to. netstat [-s | -sr | -m] will give you a
better idea of hot to tune it when the crisis is over.

Good luck,

Doug