Date:      Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:28:39 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   HEADS UP: Users of GNOME 2.11 missing libsoup-2.2.so.8

--=-RnHfHOSyDk64FRQ8Yj3g

This is a belated HEADS UP, because I guess we just took for granted
that people knew about the ports-stable module's existence during a
ports freeze.  Basically, when the tree is frozen, we try to add ports
that are slated to be committed once the freeze is over to the
``ports-stable'' module in MarcusCom CVS
(http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi). =20

Normally, this doesn't cause any problems.  However, in some cases, a
port gets updated in ports-stable that brings with it a shared library
version bump (e.g. as libsoup did in this freeze).  In that case, ports
in the ``ports'' module also are updated for that new shared library.
Therefore, during a ports freeze, you should always merge the
``ports-stable'' module followed by the ``ports'' module to ensure you
have the latest tree.  Marcusmerge supports merging ports-stable with
the -b option.  So, this recipe should straighten you out:

# marcusmerge -s /path/to/local/marcuscom-cvs -b
# marcusmerge -s /path/to/local/marcuscom-cvs
# portupgrade ...

Hope that clears things up, and sorry for the confusion.

Joe

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome@FreeBSD.org