Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:38:23 -0600
From:      Paul <paul@epicsol.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron hard disk

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:03:08AM -0500, Jason Andresen wrote:
> Tuc wrote:
> >>hi,
> >>
> >>i was wondering if anyone who has a dell inspiron has noticed that the disk
> >>likes to spin-up a lot.  it barely stays quiet for 3 minutes before it screams
> >>back into action (even if the system is totally idle).  i recall reading about
> >>a solution for linux that stopped it spinning up so much. does anyone know of
> >>such a solution for freebsd 4.x?
> >>
> >>i'm not subscribed to the list, i'd be greatful if you'd cc me, but i'll be
> >>checking the archives anyway. :>
> >>
> > 	Maybe that explains why my 8200 blew a disk in 9 months.
> >
> > 	Both drives do more of a "ker chunk" sound every 30 seconds or so.
> > Annoying enough that I close the door to my bedroom when its on in the next
> > room.
> >
> > 	Sure your not swapping, logging, etc?
>
> Hmm, I've got one running under Windows.  I always assumed it was
> Windows inability to keep it's greasy mitts off of any HD for more than
> 30 seconds that never let the drives spin down.  The idea that it can be
> fixed in Linux intrigues me (unless it's a patch to the VM subsystem).

The drive does spin down, just not for very long! It is normally
actively spinning for approx. 10-15 minutes before it takes a break
and catches its breath. Regarding the Linux fix - sorry, I was mistaken.
It was actually a hdparm command to increase disk performance.

I will take a look at logging/crontabs, etc. and see if they could be
contributing. If not, I think I will write to Dell about it and see if
they have any answers. It can be quite distracting when you're trying to
concentrate on something but you have what sounds like a hair dryer blowing
constantly in the background. :>

Thanks for your input.
- Paul