Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:18:42 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Paul Richards" <paul@freebsd-services.com>, "Len Conrad" <LConrad@Go2France.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Secondary DNS Transfers

And you can't then switch it back on?  We ARE talking about a NEW installation
here, not testing every time that he updates a record in his DNS.

>Obviously if everything is working then you should be able to switch the
>master off, but the purpose of this exercise is to safely determine that
>everything's working in the first place.

But your suggestion simply won't do that.  All it will do is answer that the
secondary is indeed ansdering queries - to the person on the secondary that is
issuing nslookup or dig or whatever he's issuing, at the particular moment
he's issuing it.  It simply does NOT answer the question of will anybody ELSE
on the Internet indeed be able to use the secondary like they are supposed to
do - to provide resolution for the domain should the primary go offline.

>You're approach is like suggesting that you wipe your disk and try to
>restore from your backup in order to prove that your backups are working
>properly.

This isn't a parallel because wiping the disk is destructive.  Switching off
the primary DNS does not destroy anything.

What YOU are saying is that if someone does a backup that simply running a
compare on it is good enough, and that it's not necessary to do an actual
restore (to a blank machine) to really test that the backup system is indeed
working.

Your also deliberately ignoring that the original poster indicated that he
wasn't willing to pick up the phone and call the admin of the primary (or even
e-mail the admin of the primary) to do it the right way.  I made it clear in
the original posting and subsequently that any kind of testing or
instrumentation was inferior to actually verifying by voice with the other
nameserver admin.

You would probably continue to argue that once he's verified that things
"work" through the inferior method of attempting to query the nameserver, that
he should STILL not switch off the primary for a few days to make absolutely
sure that things really do work.  All I can say is that backup systems are
NEVER properly tested if you don't actually cut over to them to make the test.

It's like testing a UPS.  APC makes a great line of UPS's that have all sorts
of fancy "test" modes that claim to test the UPS - but if your going to put
that UPS into a hospital and have it control some surgical equipment, you test
it by pulling the plug.  You don't trust someone's life to what some dumb
$5.00 computer says in a UPS.