Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 04:25:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Thomas H. Ptacek" <tqbf@enteract.com>
To:        torbjorn@norway.eu.net (Torbjorn Ose)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Critical Security Problem in 4.4BSD crt0

> ok, I could be wrong about 2.1.6. Here's the first message I can find that

You are. The problem is "fixed" in -current with patches to setlocale.c
that check mismatched e/uid and do bounds checking on the string copies,
but 2.2 doesn't do startup locale processing. 2.1.6 did not resolve this
problem.

> mentions the problem (from Best of Security). It's from August 1996 so the
> problem has been well known for a long time. It seems all other messages I have

Uh. locales have been a problem for a long, long time. They can be used to
subvert quite a few programs. startup locale processing and a crt0
vulnerability have not been well known for a long time. I would hope that
the FreeBSD team, upon becoming aware of a problem that rendered every
privileged binary on their system vulnerable, would have released an
official announcement about the problem.

locale processing in general is an issue for many reasons, not the least
(and not the only) of which is the fact that the routines aren't coded
safely for SUID programs. Silently processing locale information in every
program on the system out of start() is a different issue, though.

I'm fairly certain that if Mr. Assange was aware (in August) of the crt0
vulnerability, he'd have notified someone (as opposed to leaving vague
hints in unrelated messages). However, I obviously don't speak for him.

> on this bug are personal mails that I cannot quote from without permission.

If your information regarding this problem is not publically available,
it's irrelevant to the purposes of my posts on bugtraq and
comp.security.unix. I'll reiterate: 2.1.6 is vulnerable to this problem,
and anyone with a 2.1.6 installation is vulnerable. The FreeBSD team has
not made information regarding this problem available to the public,
although they did silently fix it in -current.

Thanks again for your input.

Thomas Ptacek at EnterAct, L.L.C., Chicago, IL [tqbf@enteract.com]
"I'm standing alone, I'm watching you all, I'm seeing you sinking."