Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2022 12:13:17 +0000
From:      Taceant Omnes <taceant@gmail.com>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [ZFS] file in encrypted dataset disappears on first reboot

On Sat, 29 Jan 2022 at 11:51, Taceant Omnes <taceant@gmail.com> wrote:

> root@fbsd-vm:~ # zfs list | grep zroot/enc
> zroot/enc            204K  32.8G      204K  /zroot/enc
> root@fbsd-vm:~ # zfs get mounted zroot/enc
> NAME       PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
> zroot/enc  mounted   no       -
> root@fbsd-vm:~ # zfs get mountpoint zroot/enc
> NAME       PROPERTY    VALUE       SOURCE
> zroot/enc  mountpoint  /zroot/enc  inherited from zroot
> root@fbsd-vm:~ # ls /zroot/enc
> junkf2
> root@fbsd-vm:~ # cat > /zroot/enc/junkf3
> rururururururururru
> root@fbsd-vm:~ # cat  /zroot/enc/junkf3
> rururururururururru
> root@fbsd-vm:~ #
>
> So the property is not mounted but it allows me to create a file on
> it? And still don't understand how file disappears only after the
> first reboot but not the second!

More tests on Xubuntu.

root@xubuntu-vm:~# zfs get mounted  rpool/ztest
NAME         PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
rpool/ztest  mounted   yes      -
root@xubuntu-vm:~#  zfs list | grep   rpool/ztest
rpool/ztest                                        196K  14.8G      196K  /ztest
root@xubuntu-vm:~# zfs get mountpoint rpool/ztest
NAME         PROPERTY    VALUE       SOURCE
rpool/ztest  mountpoint  /ztest      inherited from rpool
root@xubuntu-vm:~#

In Xubuntu, the mounted property is 'yes', which is what I would
expect since I can create a file on it. This difference maybe has
something to do what is happening. Looking at this from a beginner
point of view, Linux makes sense but not FreeBSD, so if it is a
feature rather than a bug, I cannot understand its logic!