Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:43:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys" <rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu (User RDKEYS Robert D. Keys)
Subject:   Perl and Majordomo on FreeBSD 2.2-RELENG or 3.0-current?????

I need to install a majordomo server on a FreeBSD box.  Currently I am using
an old AIX PS/2 box and a Sun box.  I can use either perl 4.36 or 5.04.

Has anyone had any particular problems with majordomo severs on either
2.2 or 3.0 that I should be aware of ahead of time?  It seems to be in
the ports builds on either revision level, on ftp.freebsd.org.  Perl seems
to be at 5.004.01 on either revision level, also.  It sounds like it should
build out of the box, fairly well.  From a sysadmin point of view, should
I wait until 2.2.5 is released and use that as the basis, or is a current
daily releng/current snapshot by ftp sufficient?  Once up, the machine
is not likely to change very often and will mostly sit in the bilges and
run until it crashes or dies of old age.

The projected machine will act as a majordomo server to about 300 accounts
and act as a web server down the road, for a ham radio club.  It is a 16 meg
ram generic pentium box at 120mhz or thereabout, and about a 1 gig drive.

Are there any particular system settings for process limits, ulimits, etc.,
that should be checked/set first?

Is a 1 gig drive sufficient?  I sense it will probably do, but might be
a bit tight if webbing is added later.  Most users will be simple email
list readers and the web pages will be minimal, and not likely to grow
greatly.  At most, I would expect around a dozen or so users concurrently.
I don't have a good feel for how much disk space to alot if most of the
majordomo mail is kept on the machine, and not forwarded.  If half of it
is forwarded out, then 1 gig might still be ok, I think.

Any suggestions/experiences/comments/war-stories/horror-stories appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Keys
rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu