Date:      Mon, 14 May 2012 08:35:23 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [review request] usr.sbin/service - make showing files configurable

On 5/13/2012 6:15 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 5/12/2012 8:23 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found service(8) to be inconsistent that it listed files with `service
>> -e`, but plain services with `service -l`
>
> That behavior is by design.

Could you please elaborate on the design decision?

I did of course look in base for uses of service -e and service -l,
before considering this patch. The only case I can find is in a cshrc
example, which my patch does not affect.

I had expected service -e to behave like service -l, so I could for
example, put it into a loop and check all services, using the service(8)
script itself.

    for service_name in `service -e`; do service status $service_name ||
service start $service_name; done

Of course this doesn't work as -e returns files.

    /etc/rc.d/ntpd does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
    directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d)

This may be a poor example, but it's something I tried and was surprised
by not working.

My patch allows for the old behavior of listing the file, but improves
it so now -e -l and -r all support showing files by specifying -F, while
without, it just lists the service names.

I consider this change to be fairly trivial since -e doesn't appear to
be used anywhere currently.

> Thanks for your interest,
>
> Doug

Regards,