Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 2004 15:18:15 -0400
From:      epilogue@allstream.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: alternative method for make / install world --- ?

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:17:29 -0400
Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> At 4:14 AM -0400 6/24/04, epilogue@allstream.net wrote:
> >hello all,
> >
> >I have recently been mulling over an article which proposes
> >an abridged set of steps for updating the system.
> >
> >-----------
> >http://www.bsdnews.org/03/bsd_update.php
> >
> >alias rebuild   'cd /usr/src && make update && make world &&
> >                  make kernel && mergemaster'
> >-----------
> >
> >in a nutshell, the author proposes the following steps:
> >
> >1) rebuild
> >2) answer the mergemaster prompts
> >3) reboot
> >4) all done

hello all,

first of all, thank you for the thoughtful feedback.

i'm actually not trying to be lazy or cut corners here, i was just trying
to understand the risks involved with the process advocated by this author.
all in all, you've pretty much confirmed what i had suspected.

> We have a list of steps which we believe to be reliable.  We have
> absolutely no reason to add in steps "just to annoy you".  We are
> just as eager to have a quick system rebuild as anyone else would
> be.  You can often get away with skipping some of those steps, but
> if you DO skip them, then YOU are responsible when something does
> go wrong.  And sooner or later, it will go wrong.  You can bet on
> it.  You should expect it.  By that I mean, *when* something does
> go wrong, then you should immediately suspect that the problem is
> due to your procedure.  You should not "forget" that you have
> refused to follow the recommended procedure, and you should not
> come yelling at anyone else because "they broke your system".
>
> In the case of this author, he is tracking the 4.x-stable branch.

the website provides tips on running fbsd and, given the reaction here,
this particular article is likely not the best advice over the long-term.

i am planning to drop the author a line linking to this thread.  perhaps
he'd consider revising the text or adding a brief warning, so that no
hapless newbs end up getting burnt.

once again, thank you all.