Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 1997 08:17:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        torstenb@ramsey.tb.9715.org (Torsten Blum)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: grabber

> Hi,
>
> for a projekt I need a video capture board that supports S-VIDEO (hosiden)
> with PAL and NTSC. Video source will be a LaserDisc Player and a Sony
> EVI-D31 cam.

My experience is only with composite video...

> Is there a difference between the Meteor and the Bt848 cards regarding
> the picture quality ?

Having tried both, I am all for the Bt848.

>From the data sheets it looks like the Bt848 is much more powerful
for what concerns sampling and filtering. As an example, it can
average adjacent rows to remove artifacts due to phase errors in
reconstruction the color subcarrier -- a common problem in PAL
which is usually solved by the use of a delay line, but the Meteor
cannot do this (and yest those artifacts I am able to see here).
It also seems to have a higher sampling frequency.

Last but not least, Bt848-based boards cost 1/3 of the Meteor and there
are many suppliers.

> Can one recommend a Bt848 based card ?

I have had good results with the Hauppauge board.

	Cheers
	Luigi