Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:48:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why is tcl in base distribution

On 17-Dec-97 Mike Smith wrote:
>> I tried to build tkrat from the ports-current collection, and to
>> my amazement the make process tried to install the tcl80 port.  tcl80
>> is a duplicate of tcl installed by a make world.  So,
>>
>> (1) Why is tcl in the base distribution if it is not used?
>
>Because the plan is to have it used.  There are a number of
>in-development tools which will benefit a great deal from its presence.

Ah yes, the mythical sys-admin tools.  If FreeBSD was a product of
a local company here in Seattle, we would be screaming about vaporware.
Check the CVS logs.  A version of tcl was committed in June of 1996, and
since that time /usr/sbin/addgroup has appeared.

>> (2) Why is the ports-current collection ignoring the version of
>>     tcl installed with the base distribution?
>
>Because the ports collection strives to be self-contained.  This is a
>Very Smart Idea, not the least because if the anti-bloat faction rips
>Tcl bleeding from the corpse of the system, the ports will still work.

I agree with this Very Smart Idea. Tcl belongs in the ports collection.
Period.

>If you really want to sew little gold stars on parts of the system, I'd
>start with the games collection, some of the libraries (libss has been
>identified as a candidate for replacement, with some work, for
>example), and then a sweep over the other binaries.

I don't understand your point, here.  I can cvsup the src tree and choose
to neglect the games.  I can build and install the world without the games.
The only evidence that src/games exists after a make world is the fact that
mtree creates /usr/games.

Sure, I can do a make -DNOTCL world, and not install tcl.  But, cvsup still
populates src/contrib/tcl.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu