Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 2020 23:28:51 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Documentation regarding NFSv4

Oh, and I forgot to mention name<->id# mapping.
If using AUTH_SYS (not kerberos), then you have the
choice of running "nfsuserd" or setting these two sysctls to 1.
vfs.nfs.enable_uidtostring=3D1
vfs.nfsd.enable_stringtouid=3D1
--> This makes the server just handle id#s (uid, gid) as numbers in
       a string. (This is the default for Linux these days although it was
'       frowned upon in the early days.)

Running nfsuserd maps uid, gid numbers to/from names using the
password and group databases. This must be used for Kerberos mounts.

Without the above properly configured, you'll see lots of files owned
by "nobody" on the client mounts.

rick