Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:45:11 GMT
From:      Socketd <db@traceroute.dk>
To:        "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'" <daleco@daleco.biz>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security questions

On 10/10/02, 5:47:25 AM, "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'"=20
<daleco@daleco.biz> wrote regarding Re: Security questions:
>   The syslogd daemon reads messages from the UNIX domain socket
>      /var/run/log, from an Internet domain socket specified in
> /etc/services,
>      and from the special device /dev/klog (to read kernel messages).

> So I assume it runs as root in order to access the kernel log....?

Ok, but couldn't it fork() at startup, so only the one listening at=20
/dev/klog runs as root?
I have only been using FreeBSD since 4.5 and I haven't experienced a=20
security hole in syslogd, but wouldn't it be better to be safe that sorr=
y=20
(by making syslogd run as a chroot'ed, non-root user)?

Br
socketd