Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 21:22:52 -0500
From:      "The Jetman" <jetman516@hotmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Mobile" <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How Can I Get My WaveLAN/Orinoco Card Operational ?

    Have a simple question about connecting to a wireless ISP via an
Orinoco Silver wireless card.  This works fine under Windows, but I want
to bring up a FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE NAT/Firewall box, for the obvious
reasons.  Having done everything from configuring the kernel, to
editing the .conf files, when I execute:

    wicontrol -i wi0 -C

I can see a number of hosts w/ their IPs and MAC addresses. along w/
signal strength info.  That says to me the card is nearly operational.
I say nearly, because when I ping any IP on the external net, the packets
are sent to the bit bucket.  If I ping the FBSD box from a desktop box (via
a dialup connection), no joy.  Now if I reboot under Windows, the box's
IP is visible.

    Here's the o-put from wicontrol:

NIC serial number:   [ 00UT31335083 ]
Station name:    [ TEST Wireless Server ]
SSID for IBSS creation:   [ FreeBSD IBSS ]
Current netname (SSID):   [ MYISP ]
Desired netname (SSID):   [ MYISP ]
Current BSSID:    [ 00:02:2d:30:97:a2 ]
Channel list:    [ 2047 ]
IBSS channel:    [ 1 ]
Current channel:   [ 1 ]
Comms quality/signal/noise:  [ 24 77 53 ]
Promiscuous mode:   [ Off ]
Port type (1=BSS, 3=ad-hoc):  [ 1 ]
MAC address:    [ 00:02:2d:04:5d:62 ]
TX rate (selection):   [ 11 ]
TX rate (actual speed):   [ 2 ]
RTS/CTS handshake threshold:  [ 2347 ]
Create IBSS:    [ Off ]
Access point density:   [ 1 ]
Power Mgmt (1=on, 0=off):  [ 0 ]
Max sleep time:    [ 100 ]
WEP encryption:    [ On ]
TX encryption key:   [ 1 ]
Encryption keys:   [ 12345 ][  ][  ][  ]

    It would seem to me that there is something specific to the card
that I'm simply unaware of, so I'm hoping someone who knows a lot more
can spot my oversight.  BTW, below is my routing info, in case that's
helpful:

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            1.2.3.4            UGSc        1        0    wi0
1.2.3/24           link#7             UC          2        0    wi0
1.2.3.1            0:1:42:ca:66:3a    UHLW        1        0    wi0   1198
1.2.3.4            1.2.3.1            UGHS        1        0    wi0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        0    lo0
192.168.0          link#1             UC          1        0   sis0
192.168.0.108      0:3:b3:0:71:ba     UHLW        0       70   sis0    644

where 1.2.3.4 is the address of the wireless and 1.2.3.1 is the ISP's
gateway address.  I "think" I have a working route to the outside world
(ie. I have defaultrouter="1.2.3.1" stmt in rc.conf.)

    Anyway, that's all I can think of for the moment.  TIA....Jet

===============  From the desk of Jethro Wright, III  ================
+  It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a  +
+  warning to others.                                                +
===  jetman516@hotmail.com ================================  Anon  ===