Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:16:00 -0700
From:      "Brian M. Kincaid" <bmk@adsl-64-174-159-18.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   OO builds, USE_GCC experiences

Last week I had trouble completing the build of OpenOffice using the system
standard GCC 2.95.3. The build couldn't get past building stlport;
the testing phase failed.

I tried downloading the pre-compiled package for stlport, and then
the OpenOffice build died about an hour into the build with a
segmentation fault in one of the utility programs compiled during
the OO build. I didn't try to find out why.

I then deinstalled stlport and forced USE_GCC=3.1 by adding a line
in the Makefile for the OpenOffice port.

GCC 3.1 then built OK, and the OO build finished OK in about seven
hours. The build seems to be CPU bound.

I am running 4.6-RELEASE on a 1.3Ghz Dell machine with 1GB of memory.

There are some cryptic comments about stlport being broken on the
freshports web site:

http://freshports.org/devel/stlport/

Just this minute I tried to build stlport again using the system GCC and
voila! the previous problems are gone! The miracle of cvsup, I guess. I'm not
going to try to rebuild OO again, the GCC 3.1 version is working at the moment.

I think the message here is that you should be sure you are starting with the
latest version of all the ports you need to build OpenOffice. Deinstall old
ones before building OO to be sure.

Brian

--
Brian M. Kincaid