Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 01:58:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wvhemel@vub.ac.be>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipv6 route configuration

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:

> wvhemel> So, now step by step, for the router, you would do this (ed0 is outside,
> wvhemel> ed1 internal):
>
> wvhemel> route add -inet6 3ffe:b80:1c8:: -prefixlen 48 -interface lo0
> wvhemel> (to stop looping, right?)
>
> Yes.
>
> wvhemel> ifconfig ed1 inet6 3ffe:b80:1c8::1 prefixlen 64
> wvhemel> (route to internal interface)
>
> wvhemel> -- that's enough for the router? (no rtadv, just static route's)
>
> It seems you need to have default route for internet, too.
>
> wvhemel> However, this:
> wvhemel>  route add -inet6 default link-local-address-of-router%interface-of-the-host
>
> wvhemel> gives an error, 'No address associated with hostname: bad value'.
>
> Please replace link-local-address-of-router and interface-of-the-host
> to your actuall address.

Eh that's what I did :)

I'm using unix-systems for quite a long time now, it's just this thing
that really doesn't want to work.

I got it working now, one of the problems was the test machine in my
internal network (an old openbsd machine). It didn't accept it's own ip
until I messed with kernel-options and rtsol (weird... very weird); it
refused to accept packets until I initialised it with rtsol (plug&play),
then the manual 3ffe:b80:1c8::2 worked too.

> wvhemel> So it's good measure to make /64 subnets... That's the kind of thing I'd
> wvhemel> like to learn a bit more, about the reasons and thetechnical side. Do you
> wvhemel> have any pointers?
>
> Please refer RFC2373 (IPv6 Addressing Architecture) 2.5.7 Aggregatable
> Global Unicast Addresses.

Thanks, I'll do that. And thank you for your help!

> --
> Hajimu UMEMOTO @ Internet Mutual Aid Society Yokohama, Japan
> ume@mahoroba.org  ume@bisd.hitachi.co.jp  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
> http://www.imasy.org/~ume/

.
. . . .  w o u t e r
.
o// O\ |             w o u t e r   v a n   h e m e l             | <\o/\
P  `|  |_  .  h t t p : / / w w w . i n s o m n i a . c x /  .  _|   O
.  l a   v i e   e n   m o u v e m e n t  |`\ >> \\ <<  . . . . . . . . .